What foods should you eat?
If you’ve got gestational diabetes, maintaining a healthy, diet may facilitate you to manage your symptoms with no need for medication. In general, your diet should include protein plus the correct mixture of carbohydrates and fats. Aim to base your meals around protein. Include lots of fresh foods and limit your intake of carbohydrates and processed foods. As an example, each meal should be 25 percent protein, 25 percent starch, and 50 percent nonstarchy foods, like vegetables or salad.
Here are few healthy choices for snacks and meals if you’ve got gestational diabetes:
- fresh or frozen vegetables
- eggs or egg whites
- fresh fruit
- skinless chicken breasts
- baked fish
- steamed vegetables
- unsweetened Greek yogurt
What foods should you avoid?
You’ll want to avoid highly processed foods, like white bread, and, in general, anything that incorporates a lot of sugar. As an example, you’ll want to make certain to avoid foods such as:
- fast food
- alcoholic beverages, which you should avoid anyway if you’re pregnant
- baked goods, such as muffins, donuts, or cakes
- fried food
- sugary drinks, such as soda, juice, and sweetened beverages
- very starchy foods, such as white potatoes and white rice
- Distribute your foods between three meals and two or three snacks each day
- Eat reasonable portions of starch- about one cup of total starch per meal, or two pieces of bread.
- Drink one cup of milk at a time to avoid raising your blood sugar. Cold Milk is naturally sweet, avoid adding sugar
- Limit fruit portions , You may eat one to three portions of fruit per day, but only eat one at a time. Avoid fruit juice
- Breakfast matters – A breakfast that consists of starch plus protein is usually tolerated the best.
- Strictly limit sweets, sugar sweetened beverages and desserts
- Use artificial sweeteners instead of added sugars , Stevia is one of the safest sweeteners
- Keep food records
Some indulgent recipes , that wont make you Glucose levels soar..!
Blend all the ingredients together and indulge in your yummilcious drink !! Do record your sugar levels after this and share..
You may have this stuffed with a brown bread with a seasoning /Dressing of your choice
|1 small sweet potato|
|6 tablespoons olive oil, divided|
|Kosher salt, freshly ground pepper|
|½ small zucchini,mushrooms or any vegetable of your liking|
|¼ teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes|
|1 cup cooked quinoa (from about ½ uncooked)|
|1½ teaspoons fresh lemon juice|